Tuesday, 10 January 2012

My tentacles reach out farther

As well as through Kindle on Amazon, I am also publishing eBooks with Smashwords. Why? I hear you say, well basically for a wider distribution, Smashwords have deals to distribute eBooks to Sony, Barnes & Noble, Kobo, Apple, and Diesel. A wider distribution field means hopefully more potential readers will come across and perchance make a purchase of my eBooks. Time will tell. Smashwords, like Kindle, charge nothing to publish with them, therefore, apart from a little formatting work, there is not much involved in widening the sphere of availability.

There is also the reason that eBook sales are a fantastically growing market, and who can tell how far sales of electronic books will go in the future. One survey forecasts sales of eBooks to reach $10 Billion by 2016. Having a Kindle reader now myself, I predict personally I will be seeking out eBook versions of interesting authors I come across before going out and buying print editions, though I am no way predicting the disappearance of the paperback, which I think will always be an option, and perhaps the only choice for a large proportion of readers. I do think though that eBook sales will rise, and print sales will decline, until eventually an equilibrium is reached. At the end of the day, people will still read books, and whether by electronic means or by the printed page, books will be bought.

At present my eBooks for sale on Smashwords are:
New Light for the Soul and Fractured in this Killing Scene

My Smashword Author page is here

Smashwords can be found here

No comments:

Post a Comment